Let’s face it. Theme parties are a blast. They can turn any combination of coworkers, family and friends into an enthusiastic crowd admiring creative decorations and inventive outfits. The best part? Party themes can be as far-fetched, classy or outrageous as you like.
Event planning experts suggest going beyond holidays and committing to themes with some integrity. After all, these party themes must be worthy of belonging to your special occasion.
All celebrations can gain an unforgettable flair or stylish elegance by adhering to a theme for key elements — specifically cocktails, music and decor. From birthday parties and anniversaries to baby showers and engagement parties, themes can be specific or broad, but they can also be pricey.
* Mardi Gras inspires many to throw a party and celebrate the craziness in Louisiana. Grab some beads, wear a feather mask, and dress in your craziest costume. Drink your favorite drink in glasses (or disposable cups) that have been decorated in glitter.
* Go green. If your veins bleed green instead of red, plan an eco-friendly party. Decorate with luxuriant house plants and natural colors. Spend money on compostable paper materials, and save by making it a pot-luck event. Challenge your guests by urging them to only bring things they made themselves, whether it’s a dish, beverage or gift.
* Tap into doomsday fears. Optimize on the end-of-the-world Zombie Apocalypse (Walking Dead) hype and throw a wicked bash with a dystopian theme. Keep an upbeat mood with punk rock favorites from the “Night of the Demons” soundtrack. The horror film from Seven Arts combined tunes from Zombie Girl and Creature Feature for a scarily popular soundtrack available for download on iTunes. If you want something less upbeat you can utilize such tracks as The Cranberries – “Zombie” or Blue Öyster Cult – “Don’t Fear The Reaper” to set more of a somber mood.
* Recreate your current TV obsession. If you’re gearing up for the season five premiere of “Mad Men,” turn your party into a sophisticated 1960s event complete with Old Fashions, Tom Collins and classic hits from artists like Ray Charles. Other shows like “Game of Thrones,” “Glee,” “Grimm” or “Dexter” would provide lots of entertaining costume ideas for guests.
* Commemorate a favorite decade. Whether it’s the 70s, 80s or 90s that has your friends reminiscing, combine all your beloved elements of the decade for a memorable celebration. From music to food to clothing, your party can mimic the times. For cheap decor, see what dusty gems are lying in your attic.
Whatever the occasion or theme of your party, the right music is essential to ensure that you have the perfect atmosphere. A professional Disc Jockey ( DJ ) like Marc Taylor of Shellimark Entertainment in Utah can assist you in creating the perfect soundtrack to accompany your event creating the perfect party feeling.
“With over 25 years professional experience I have found that many party organizers fail to recognize the asset that a DJ Entertainer can be early in the planning process. By utilizing tools such as planning the musical landscape, lighting suggestion, utilizing video, or offering karaoke, an experienced DJ will be able to help ensure that the entire event exceeds the expectations of the guests while giving all the credit to the party organizer. These planning sessions, held as early as possible can alleviate significant amounts of stress on the planning individual or committee. My recommendation would be to not put procuring the entertainment late in the planning process (it seems to be one of the last calls made), but make it one of the first vendors you reach out to. Most if not all of my past clients have told me they wish they’d called me earlier after I showed them how I could help. Now, those same event planners call me early on when they are planning an event.” – Marc Taylor, Owner, DJ, Event Entertainment Coordinator, at Shellimark Entertainment.